• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1976 K6 Carb rubber intake pipes

Friartuck

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Just pulled the carb assembly off the 1976 K6 and that was sort of tough given the 30+ year old rubber pipes. Is there a technic or tip that will soften the rubber intake pipes to make it easier to install when I'm finished rebuild them? Are replacements available?? I haven't seen any from any supplier.

cb750supply.com has new rubber boots, they are somewhat expensive but they are worth it for the ease of installation of the carbs as well as the peace of mind that they will actually seal and not have a vacuum leak. They also support this forum.

As an FYI for the group, I applied a generous coating of Glycerin (available in pharmacy in cosmetics section) to the boots and also sprayed them with silicon. They softened a little to the point where they went on the head nipples by hand. I'll try the ATF/linseed method if the carbs don't go on as easy.

I have yet to try it, but plan to... A 50/50 mix of acetone or xylene with wintergreen oil, let them soak for a few hours cheking every so often. From what I've read, they should come out soft as new. Works on renewing all rubber parts. The only sraw back I've read is that if you let them soak for too long they will expand.

Back