• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Bout to buy a CB750, need some input on known issues.

Momo

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Brand new here, Looking to buy my first CB750. I found one that needs some work but seems decent otherwise. The guy says that the battery won't hold a charge, and that it needs a new ignition.

I asked him to elaborate and he said the key moves in the ignition just enough to shut down the engine, or if he hits bumps it will shut off. Sounds like its been tampered with and/or stolen at some point but he does have the title.

My first thought on the charging issue, was a bad rotor or stater, which he confirmed with a picture of a hole in the engine cover on the right hand side.

My question is how pricey is this fix and how readily available are parts for this bike. Its a 1981 Cb750 custom.

Thanks!

Reg/rec around 100, stator about 140, they sell new harnesses for under 200, depends on what you want. It could just be the ignition switch, in addition the reg/rec&stator.
I love my 82, I'm getting ready to throw a bucket of money at her, most of the work will be done by me though, if you do your own work it's worth it.IMHO.
You know what they say about opinions though!
I'm goin' of the res on her though, new legs, swingarm, etc, to convert her to a dualsport, I like to play in dirt! I think I can use xr650l forks, may need to have a swingarm made though, don't know yet, still in r&d mode. PSYCHED!
I'm going with Avon gripsters, dyna ignition, Supertrapp mufflers, rebuilt and jetted carbs, raised air intake, different lighting...EVERYTHING! CAN'T FRIGGIN' WAIT!!!

Back