• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Gas leak? Smell after riding?

Field

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Whenever I stop riding I can smell gas.

I know my gas lid isn't perfectly tight because when my friend turned it upside down when I had it off, it came out the top. Is that normal? How would I fix it if it isn't?

It doesn't explain the smell after riding, however. I don't see any wet spots, but I'm going to keep looking... the curious thing is why it comes about when I'm done riding.

Also how much power should I have around 70-80mph in 5th? It seems like I am giving it full throttle too often, and I only get like 24mpg.

You will smell more gas as the motor and fuel warms up because it evaporates faster. The lid does vent be to vent the tank so fuel will flow. Your carbs also have vents and when they heat up the fuel will vaporize more readily and you may smell fuel from the bowl vents.

As for the mileage 24mpg is low but to many things affect that. Tuneup, engine condition, air filter condition, jetted correctly?, air pressure in tires correct, how you ride, fairings and saddle bags causing more drag. etc all affect mpg greatly. Obviously riding at full throttle will cause very low mpg. I easily ride half throttle at 75mpg here when on flat stretches.

The right tailpipe looks wet, sorta black.

I have the recommended expensive spark plugs.

It is stock jetting, near air filter, correctly set pilot screws, correct air pressure in tires, no fairing or saddle bags.

Last edited:
Back