• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New member and bike

Kawi

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just bought a 77 cb750 sohc. I bought it like this and I plan on making some changes to make it my own.
. IMG_20130416_185054_423.jpg

First question: has anybody else had troubles with oil leaking out of the rpm wire that comes out of the valve cover? Mine is leaking and im not sure if there is a seal or not that can be replaced without taking the valve cover off.

Also: I love the straight pipes but they are too loud for me, I'd like to get this exhaust http://tinyurl.com/cved5nd and I'd like some opinions on it and was wondering if the jetting or anything else should be changed after going from straight pipes to a 4 to 1
Thanks for the info and help! this seems like a great forum

Yes there is a seal on the shaft that drives the cable and there is an o-ring on the cable itself. Seal is replaceable with the valve cover on.

You will have a definate jet change going from straight pipes to 4 into 1 provided it is jetted close now. I have run straight pipes, oem and 4 into 1, 4 into 2 and straight pipes needed to be jetted far richer than any other of the exhaust setups....they are far less efficient with fuel then the other setups other than at high rpms and full throttle. More than likely you will need to jet but you just have to try it and see how it runs and go from there. Every motor and exhaust setup is a little different and there are to many variables that dictate what the jetting needs to be for your particular bike. Honestly that Mac is not the best out there and for the cost you might as well get a much better and only little bit more expensive 4 into 1 from CycleX. http://www.cyclexchange.net/Honda SOHC High Performance Exhaust Page.htm

No Front brakes???? Good Lord NO!!!!!!!!! For the love of God, please install a front brake. that bike weighs way to much for that rear drum alone. They are barely adequate with the front disk. I would like to talk to you next year, not read about you next week. Who ever constructed that death trap should be horse whipped.

Thanks dirtdigger, gonna get that seal today, any tips on how to get the old seal out?

Cyclebuster: It came with the front brake assembly and I am not going on any long or high speed rides until I rebuild the caliper and remount the brake assembly. I agree that riding with no front brake is very risky espcially being so used to having a front brake to rely on.

small pick or I have used a small screw run into the seal. run a screw into the seal(carefull not to run it in against the valve cover or against the shaft) then pull with a pliers. Might be stuck or it might come fairly easy, but it shouldn't be too hard unless it is really baked in there or have a lot of buildup around it.

Thanks dirtdigger

Here's a dumb question, would anyone be able to tell me what kind of tank my bike has?

And I need the small bracket for the top mount on the front brake caliper and I'm having trouble finding one, maybe it has been discontinued, anyone know where I can get one?

take a couple of pictures of the tank, might be able to identify it.

The whole mount for the caliper that bolts to the fork?

I have everything I need to install the front brakes except part #5 and #14 off of this schematic. hog caliper.png I can't even find a part number for #5(the bracket I was talking about) and I was hoping I didn't need #14. It just looks like a cover or something.

Here is a picture of my tank, just wondering what kind of bike it's off of.IMG_20130420_100855_007.jpg

Thanks!

14 is basically a fender for the brake disk and isn't needed. Normally #5 isn't separated from the rest of the bracket. Check with cyclebuster see if he has the part or just look for the whole mount on ebay if he doesn't have one. The tank just looks like a stock tank for your bike.

Thanks guys, cyclebuster I may be ordering that part soon.

I actually just had surgery to to fix my torn acl so I'm on hold for awhile.

Cyclebuster would you happen to have another one of those front brake caliper brackets? I waited too long and missed out on the one you had for sale.

Also an update: Fixed the oil leak and degreased the engine, I also went wild with some pinstripe that I think turned out pretty nice. Still not sure if i'll keep it. Here's a pic...IMG_20130427_175750_932.jpg

Back