• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Brake Caliper Compatability Question

csbanta

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi, this is my first post on this killer forum. Already found tons of helpful info. Hopefully you guys can answer my question:

I have a 73 cb750 and am trying to get a front brake caliper replacement as it doesnt have one at the moment. With that in mind, I was wondering if the 360 or 450's brake calipers are compatiable with the 750? I have a local shop that has a 360 caliper/brake assembly that they are willing to sell me for $60 bucks which is way cheaper than the internet alteratives at the moment. He says it will fit, im just looking for a second opinion to make sure. Thanks

I think they are too shallow for full braking, they would use the top 2/3 of the rotor, if I recall they will bolt on. It will get you riding, but I would not recommend 2 up freeway use. I know I tried to use one years ago and did not, I think that was the reason.

The calipers are not actually the same, the part numbers are different between the 750 and the other calipers. I dont know for sure if they will fit. I do know that the 750 used a larger diameter rotor than the 500/550 bikes. You may be able to make them work but question would also be is the diameter of the piston in the calipers the same size? If the piston are different diameters then you will have a different hydraulic force applied to the piston of the different calipers. I do not know if they are the same. There are the correct 750 calipers on ebay though, if it was me I would want the correct caliper for the bike to take any unknown differences out of the equation.

Final question, does the 71-78 front calipers all fit universally? Helps broaden my market quite a bit. To my understanding they do, but Im just looking for a second opinion. Thanks

Back