• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750F - been standing for 12 years

diesaadman

CB750 New member
Reaction score
hi fellow CB enthusiasts

this was my dad's baby and as you can see he took very good care of her.

she has been standing for the last 12 years and i was hoping to get some tips regarding what work needs to be done to her before she can be started up. i can recall that my dad wanted to do the timing chain/tensioners as there was a slight "slapping" sound on idling?

i trust that you guys will put me on the right track

thanks
Jay

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 126
I would definitely change oil and filter, and I'm sure carbs will need to be cleaned. If it sat that whole time without being turned over from time to time you may wanna pull plugs and squirt some oil into the cylinders to help prevent any scarring... other that that I cant think of anything else that may need to be done

There have been many in a similar spot to you on starting a bike long in storage. Try searching on this site we have talked about it many times about what should be done, if you cant find what you are looking for let us know. Yours is a little easier since it is fairly new...no points, etc. Do the obvious, oil change, take a look at the spark plugs, check air filter, the carbs will be the big question whether they will need to be cleaned or not. I would put some new fuel in it and see how it runs and go from there on the carbs. As far as the timing chain the main one is adjustable and you should do that first and see if the noise goes away. There is also a secondary chain that connects the intake and exhaust cams together and there is an adjustment for it as well. You need to get a good manual for the bike because it is hard to explain how to do the chain adjustments.

Change oil, check brake pads/flush fluid, new steering head bearings, new swingarm bushing, possibly rebuild calipers (could hang up after so much time).

Clean ALL of the crap from around the plug holes, take them out and put some wd40 in there and wait a few days, just to be safe, don't want to mess up your dads bike, remove plugs again, put in gear and turn the rear wheel, if it turns you're probably good.

Get a known good battery and see if she cranks, make sure 1st, that you don't have a lot of crust in the tank, drain the float bowls to get rid of the bad gas, throw in fresh plugs and try to start it. You'll probably need to go through the carbs, they're not as hard as people say, I think bikebandit sells rebuild kits.

You'll want new fuel and vacuum lines, air filter, probably tires, maybe a chain too, I'm sure I missed something.

BEAUTIFUL BIKE BTW!!

Back