• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Carb cleaning the right way?

Stabler

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
I thought I'd put this question up here.

I've pulled my carbs and they really need a good cleaning. Now this is how they look:

6823490634_003b5f0854.jpg

7000756537_d9b62600c6.jpg

6854636196_8d729f7545.jpg

You can clearly see why they need to be cleaned.

I have had them sitting in diesel the last couple of days and that haven't done anything to the state they're in. I've tried brushing them while in diesel - but nothing gives. They look EXACTLY the same.

Any ideas on what to use to clean 'em up?

The jets didn't look rock 'n' roll either..

6854638682_c3471f1efe.jpg

6854639584_07a77d3121.jpg

So - I'm getting new jets. As for the rest - fire away on ideas and thoughts!

Thanks, Stabler.

Wow. Nasty looking. Pawl has a thread on here about ultra sonic cleaning. That looks like the ticket if you know somebody that has a tank. Check out his thread.

Oh - I should have searched before posting, thats for sure. Travis - my bad - feel free to delete this thread if possible.

No need to delete this thread. Those cards do look nasty! This can be a thread about your carbs if you want... some before and after pictures would be nice once you get them clean.

Here's the Ultrasonic Carb Cleaning thread

If you can't find someone with an ultrasonic cleaner, you could use the carburetor dip stuff. I've done plenty of carbs that way before I got my ultrasonic cleaner and it works well.

Gasket remover and a tooth brush. 30 min of work in total. Blow through with compressed air and I got this:

6868967846_894d7370b7.jpg

Cost me $20.

Looks good... but what about all the little passageways and other orifices? Were you able to get those clean with the gasket remover and compressed air? I always spray everything down with carb cleaner and then blow out all the passageways with compressed air when I'm done cleaning carbs, no mater the method used to clean the carbs. I just wonder if a toothbrush was needed to get the gunk off, did all the little passageways come clean without scrubbing? Have you had the carbs back on the bike yet?

I sprayed in the gasket remover in all passages, let it sit and then blew through it with compressed air. After that, before it dryed up I sprayed all these passages with carb cleaner and again with compressed air.
I repeated this procedure twice.
It went from almost no flow to great flow through these passages. I also cleaned my jets. Fingers crossed that it'll work now when I get my frame back from paint and start to put her back together later on this week..

Ok. I thought that my cleaning procedure didn't do the trick, since I've got a cold cylinder. Pulled the carbs 'cause I found a place where they'd ultrasonic wash my carbs for cheap. Took a whole day they said and man do they look clean now!! Outside and in.

To bad my problem remains. Still no detonation on cyl # 1. I've pulled the plug on that one, strong blue spark. No sign or smell of fuel though. Will try and blow through it with WD40 this afternoon and see if I can locate any blocked passages.

Any other ideas on how to find out what's wrong with this carb? It actually worked a couple of times/starts just after the ultrasonic wash, but then my cyl # 3 was cold instead. Now a couple of tries later, the # 3 is getting hot, but the # 1 is cold again. I'm getting closer and closer to point a 12 gauge at this rack of carbs and rip one off.

If you spray carb clean in #1 carb with the bike running does cylinder 1 fire on the carb clean? Fuel getting to the bowl? pull the bowl drain and see if gas runs out. Does it start to run on that cylinder when you take it off idle? Or is it dead all the time? Lets check the basics before you get out the 12 guage. :gun:

It's the slow speed line thats clogged up some way. Nu fuel coming through the mixture screw/jet.

i have been watching this thread,actually i was doing a google search on this style of carbs that led to finding this site. i have a set on the bench that i am doing now so i am intrested in finding the answer myself. i dont have anything for you though except maybe the welding tip cleaners with the smaller gauge wire poking around in there.

You can use the tip cleaners if you are careful. Make sure you dont make the idle jet bigger by accident from pushing the cleaner around in there. For your guys information....the idle jet is pressed in BUT I have taken them out. I use a small vise grip and wiggle it around very carefully while you pull on it. Be careful though and if it doesn't feel right stop. They normally are not in there very tight. Do this at your own risk but I have taken them out on different occasions. The jet is more than just the hole down the middle, it has small holes coming in from the sides that you can only clean when the jet is out. If you can get the jet out you can clean things 10x better.

Got it out and cleaned it. Still haveing one cold cylinder.. From that very carb.

Easy to get out and in, was totaly clogged even after ultrasonic wash. Now it's clean but the problem remains.

Last edited:
Does it fire if you give it fuel? If it still doesn't you have an ignition or engine issue. If it fires with additional fuel you still have an issue with that carb.

Back