• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Yard Sale find, 1978 Honda 750F Super Sport

Bikequad4x4

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I just picked up this great looking 1978 Honda CB 750F Super Sport at a yard sale on Saturday. It has no key, and the engine is stuck, all the parts are there, very little rust on the chrome. It has not been registered since 1983, it has 5400 miles.

Can anyone tell me if it has value, should I fix it and ride it? Should I part it out? Help
Thanks
Bob

more info please are you sure the engine is stuck? did you try to crank it or did the seller just tell you that, i went through a similar situation with mine where he said it was seized but it wasnt he just jumped timing. It could be as small as throwing some new oil into it and cranking it up. A new ignition switch for it is relatively cheap and pretty damn easy to wire it up. Try to find out some more about it, title work, if it wont crank with starter you could try turning it over by hand etc.

pull the plugs, soak it in PB Blaster for at least a few hours. put the bike in 1st gear, and every time you go near it, set on it and rock it hard back and forth until your tired of it, then leave, repeat. don't be a cheap skate put at least half if not all of the PB plaster in there.
I have rocked so many bikes free, I forget. and 90 percent of them ran great afterwards. The next step is to take off the alternator cover and hang a pipe wrench sideways off the flywheel rings, one on each side., adjacent. then stand on them, and alternate your weight back and forth. it will come free, trust me, I would ride that bike soon if I had it, without major work

SOHC engines are plentiful and cheap. definitely fix it. that's a pretty bike. and has all the best advances in it. its all in the top end anyway, so really a simple top end overhaul will make it like new.

Tear the motor apart and rebuild it properly. Yes try to soak the cylinders with PB but tear it down and fix what is stuck.

Ok, I'm going to get started on this tonight. I pulled out the ignition and was either going to take it to a locksmith and have him rekey it or buy a new ignition switch. If I buy a new one will I be able to open the gas tank and seat lock?

I pulled the 4 plugs and sprayed the shit out of the cylinders with PB Blaster. I will wait to tomorrow night to try and rock it free.

any locksmith can key that lock and all your stuff will work. If he cant, ask him if he knows the number of a real locksmith

No the new switch will have a different key then the original tank and seat unless you have the new switch rekeyed. You might as well have your old switch keyed if it is good shape.

I found a website that has old Honda Keys. www.hondakeys.com They had a key for my 1978 Honda CB750F super sport. I pulled the ignition out and the was a key code stamped on the top of the key cylinder (chrome part). You can't see this when the ignition is installed. 20 bucks for a key!

Back