• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Engine overhaul on a budget?

Stabler

CB750 Addict
Reaction score
Since I have the engine case changed out due to a hole in my old one I thought I'd ask my fellow members here on CB750.com what you all would do to/with your engine while it's apart?

First, I'm not going to crank up the hp's in any way, I'll keep it stock for durability.

Since I haven't even started this engine up I don't know what really needed to be changed out and apart from the hole in the case and the casing parts laying at the bottom of the gearbox I can't see any faults on/in it. This is what I thought of getting new and replacing:

1. Crankshaft bearings
2. Cam chain
3. Piston rings
4. Grind in the valves
5. All engine gaskets
6. Oil filter
7. Sparkplugs
8. Drivechain and both sprockets
9. All oil seals
10. All carburetor gaskets (and maybe some other carb parts, depending on how they look when I open them up)

Is there something obvious other than those parts that I'm missing, that I chould concider changing while I have the engine apart? How about bearings for the main axle/rod or bearings for the gear rod and so on? Or the clutch plates or springs? Are these overkill to change out or a good thing to do? Also, I don't have unlimited funds so I really need to adress the most critical and best parts to change out at this point.

All ideas or thoughts here is highly appreciated!

Thanks, Stabler.

Take a good look at the cam chain tensioner rollers. If they are at all getting hard you need to replace them. They should be slightly soft not rock hard. When they get hard they will start to chunk and break apart. Absolutley need new piston rings when they have been removed from the bores. Check that the top of the cylinder and face of the cylinder head are flat. If they are warped have them machined or you could face possible compression and or oil leaks. Check the clearances of the crankshaft main bearings and the connecting rod bearing. if they are in good shape and are within Honda spec then they really dont need to be replaced. Making the clearances on the tighter side of the Honda spec will make for a smoother running motor. A lot of people seem to get confused with the bearing selection process and not sure how many of these bottom ends you have put together, so if you got questions we can help. Thats all for now, I gotta get to work!

Good topic.. this will be valuable for me as well since I also need to overhaul an engine on a budget...

I say skip the clutch until you know it needs to be replaced. You can always do it later. :twocents:

when the cycle shop pulled mine SOC apart they failed to notice the condition of the cam lobes and rocker surfaces .Check those out for sure Stabler. If the surfaces show pitting or unusual wear replace them .

Back