• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Forks have to go to dealer for disassembly?

gregb6718

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way back on 8-16-2014 raene asked the question whether his 82 cb750c forks had to go to the dealer for disassembly. The question was never answered so I'll ask it again. Clymer book says my 82 F forks have to go to the dealer for disassembly -- true? Or is there some other way?
I drained the oil out and the oil on the spring and inner walls was kind of orange. I guess that's rust. I thought about ways to clean it out in there but any solvent would damage the seals, wouldn't it?

Thanks for your help.

You do not have to let the dealer take the forks apart. The only reason they say so is because of the TRAC assembly used for anti-dive on them, people don't understand them. Trying to scare people with the technology there.

You're probably right..........thinking of the later bigger bikes.

Regardless, no reason you can't do it yourself.

The only thing I would beware of was trying to re-insert the fork tubes back in with seals still mounted in lower leg, the bushings tend to expand a bit and if you snag the one backward edge of fork seal it will damage it. Proper would be assembly of upper tube and lower leg then install the seal after bottom leg bolt fastened to inner tube.

Last edited:
I've just finished my 1981 750K forks, fully dismantled them and put in new seals, only "special tool" was a snap ring pliers, no need for dealer

Back