• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New Owner of a 79 CB750L build thread

MrMojoRisin

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hello, new member here that has been wanting to do a scrambler/tracker build for many years. With the extra time during the pandemic, the fire started burning again so I started to look for donor bikes. After lots of searching and passing on bikes that I later wished I had taken, I realized unless I made up my mind, this project would never happen... So I settled on wanting a Honda CB. I almost pulled the trigger a couple of times, but then came across a bike that really got my interest. 1979 CB750L. A previous owner had already started the build with a café racer as his end goal. Unfortunately he had some medical issues and had to sell it to come up with cash before he could get the bike completed. Claimed to have it running and taken a couple test rides but never got the carbs dialed in. He sold it to the kid I bought it from back in Jan of 2020. The kid had good intentions but having just started a family was short on time and ended up never touching the bike. He had posted it online, I contacted him and we ended up making a deal.

Goal is to transition this from the café style towards the scrambler I have always envisioned. Looks like there will be some challenges along the way, but excited to get started. I've tried to attach some pics and will be trying to document thing as progress is made. Currently going through the 4 boxes of misc. parts and trying to catalog them to come up with a shopping list. Certainly will have lots of questions as this will be my first build.

cb750.jpgcb750a.jpgcb750c.jpgcb750d.jpgcb750e.jpgcb750f.jpgcb750g.jpg

First part purchase....

After spending the weekend tinkering and checking the bike over, I was digging through the boxes of parts that came with the bike. Obviously the previous owners claim to never being able to dial in the carbs came from his goal of using pod air filters. Found 3 different sets all the way from a set of cheepo no names foams, a set of Chinese K&N knockoffs, plus a complete, NIB set of actual K&N's.

While I personally like the look of the pod filters, I've read enough to know I don't have the patience to dial those carbs in, nor the cash for a set of CR's. So I made my first purchase... got lucky and found a local selling off some leftover parts from a 81 CB900C build he had done years before. Complete air box, boots, filter and chrome covers. All for $20. Petty excited to have been so fortunate...

airbox.jpg

Back