• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Need help with kick-start

cbratbobber

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the Honda CB750 family. I just got my first one. The guy tells me that I got it from that the kickstarter is just stuck. And when I try to turn over the motor manually by hand with a wrench the nut just spins. Almost like it's stripped. Is the kickstarter broken or is my entire engine locked up?

I for one would not be using that nut to turn engine, rather, use the alt rotor bolt on opposite side. That timing side nut can get loose and mess with your timing.

So take the points plate off and use the nut behind it? And btw I did put some marvel mystery oil in the cylinders to try and free it if its just a frozen engine. If it is going to break loose is it ok to use the kickstart to get the engine to free up? My buddy says I shouldnt because I can break the kick-start. I didnt think that the kick-start would be flimsy enough to break from that pressure. What do you think?

if the nut turns and not the engine then the indexing pin is probably sheared off on the back side of the timing advancer. There is no nut behind the points plate. Take the left cover off and use the bolt that holds the flywheel on. The kickstarter was not made to be used a lot on these motors. the kickstart was made to be a backup to the starter. The shafts can bend, twist or even break if too much force is used, was common on high compression big bore motors. The ratchet mechanism can also be damaged if abused. Use the flywheel bolt till you know the engine is free.

Your MMO may not lossen anything if it is stuck bad enough, I've seen some where you break various engine parts before the engine comes unstuck, including the cylinder itself. That kiskstarter would break long before that; some are so stuck the motor is scrap. I've had to drive pistons out with a sledgehammer before.

Back