• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

My Amen Savior CB750

And I had to show of my premiere run
20130331_124231.jpg

I also learned a nifty trick to get it into neutral when at a stop in traffic. Some may have a concern doing that, I know I did. Possibly common on these engines? I simply could NOT get it into neutral when at a stop light (when it was really warmed up) no matter what. I changed one tiny o-ring (5mm) and poof.. Now i shifts into neutral effortless every time. Fantastico.

Have a nice weekend everyone!

Its about time you got that thing out on the road! Sounds like you must have changed the oring under the left side transmission bearing. There is also a clutch basket modification that can be done if the problem persists. I always try to get it into neutral as I am rolling to a stop, it is much easier. As far as you mid range bog in your previous post...5th gear is too high for 35mph, I am never in 5th till about 55 or 60mph these motors like a little rpm, run that thing!!

Motor Mounts

Ya, but it's f*cking pricey here in Sweden..

Anyone got any camshaft bearings? The green ones?

Hello Stabler, hoping you can help i seen your post on another page abot you having a 1:1 copy of motor mounts for the amen savior puttin in a cb750 hopefully im doing this right THANK YOU

Hello Stabler, hoping you can help i seen your post on another page abot you having a 1:1 copy of motor mounts for the amen savior puttin in a cb750 hopefully im doing this right THANK YOU

Hey Heimer.

I've got you covered. Follow this link, print that picture, make sure the "square inch" on is really a square inch on the paper whne printed (blow up or size down on your computer 'til you get it), cut 'em out and you're golden.

Now show us that Amen!!

ok i might not be asking for correct thing the problem we have is that this frame had original brackets and tabs cut off as someone was trying to put a suzuki motor in it before we got it... now we are left with nothing on the frame... the sheet you sent was for forward controls right? sorry My son and I are new to this but really excited...

Aha.. Well these mounts is what I have. And the one removable rear engine mount. Everything else is welded to the frame.. Don't know how I can be of further help?
Your real concern if all engine mounts have been removed is to get the motor centered and lined up with the sprockets to a centered rear wheel..

Since the weather here doesn't permit any more riding this season I've decided to redo my Amen. A chop is never done, right?

Here I'm trying to get a feel for how it'll sit with 8 over tubes. The jury is still out on wether I'll go with 6 over or 8 over.
10362415676_abd6a62073_z.jpg

A part from the longer front end, I'm going for a new rear fender, a 2 up seat, a tall sissybar, a new set of bars and some cleaning up of wires and stuff.
10362407496_827c086131_z.jpg

Not sure of how much to cut my rear fender.. But it needs triming down.
10362587023_dd966b377a_z.jpg

An inspiration is the tail of this Amen from Custom Chopper Magazine dating back to 1974.
10418636874_07690c083d_z.jpg

No custom bikes are never done! I would go with the 6 over if you are going to do an extended fork. I would also put a fork brace on it. I dont like how much the stock forks flex when they are extended. I brace will help calm down the front end a little bit. Keep in mind it will make the steering a little "heavier" because of the increased rake. 6 over is a better compromise as far as handling goes.

I would cut the fender just behind the seat leaving enough to give it a little bit of a radius.

Weather is no good here either, already had one blizzard with around 20" of snow and 6 to 8ft drifts. Still get a nice day or two in here and there through out the winter though that can break out the bike for a short ride.

No custom bikes are never done! I would go with the 6 over if you are going to do an extended fork. I would also put a fork brace on it. I dont like how much the stock forks flex when they are extended. I brace will help calm down the front end a little bit. Keep in mind it will make the steering a little "heavier" because of the increased rake. 6 over is a better compromise as far as handling goes.

I would cut the fender just behind the seat leaving enough to give it a little bit of a radius.

Weather is no good here either, already had one blizzard with around 20" of snow and 6 to 8ft drifts. Still get a nice day or two in here and there through out the winter though that can break out the bike for a short ride.

Holy crap!! Blizzard?!! Damn man, you've got it worse than me for sure.

I just found out that there's not any longer length available than 6 over, so I'll run with that. I cheaped out on the freight cost so I won't get my tubes until April 2014. That saved me about $100 in shipping alone and then another 28% on top of the total in customs and import fees. I think I saved about a total of $180 compared to have them sent by USPS. That's more then the tubes themselves costs. Phu.
And my brother in law is going to mill out a fork brace from stainless steel. Maybe get some laser engraving on that as well - we'll see.

The fender will get a 2.5" lip behind the seat. The rest will get cut off. And I just got my stainless rod and bolts and nuts for my sissy bar delivered. Now I have to getto-style this to make it work. To be able to bend it I'll have to heat it in a pile of burning barbecue coal. That's right. I got no torch. Just a "stick" (arc) welder. Wish me luck on this.

I've also teared the vinyl off my seat. Will be trying to sew a new one with the old one as a guide. Fingers crossed. Oh, and I'll have to send my rear fender off to paint. Gotta be matching the tank.

Johnny - out.

Last edited:
Well at least while you are waiting on the forks you'll have time to get the rest of the bike done since nothing else is dependent on them. Good luck with the fender and seat! The seat sounds like an ambitious project, at least to me anyway since I have no experience with upholstery. I'm assuming you'll be modifying the seat pan as well for the tall back on the 2 up?

Yup. I'm doodeling away on the other stuff. I've marked up my fender so I can cut it. I've gotten the rod for my sissy and my new set of handlebars.
But I think I'm in over my head on the seat. I've gutted it so I can make new patterns on the new fabric. I'm gonna have to practice a lot before I put the real fabric in the sewing machine...

I'm really lousy at updating my (re)build online, but I'we got some sneak peeks over at Instagram. I'm @johnny_barndrunks

Anyhow. I will get to update here as well as soon I get some time on my computer.

Sissybar DONE

I cold bent some 1/2 stainless rod and stick welded some home made bungs to it. And I had a lot of beer while knocking this out.

11730029143_151e0a6f0d_z.jpg
Cold bent (with NO tattoos).

11730514246_cd91ed0b6f_z.jpg
Matched everything up.

12083697905_608b739a88_z.jpg
Cut some stainless to bend into a fender mount.

12084007743_869e407c12_z.jpg
Bent it up. Could've just used my vice and a hammer, but since I had this laying around..

12083693645_0cf79ff623_z.jpg
Turned out like this.

12083699365_627aa53f7a_z.jpg
Made some horrible welds and spent almost 2 hours cleaning them up with my flap wheel. They do hold up anyways.

11730024143_4d513ef353_z.jpg
Mounted that sucker and called it the day.

Will be welding in some plate holder and brake light mount.

Seat semi-done

Ok folks. This I won't ever do again. Just sayin'.

Reupholster is for the professionals, but I'm a DIY junkie so I had at it anyways. This is how it turned out:

12083690915_38d3435cc3_z.jpg

I bought some black fake leather with some tiny bit of stretch in it. On to that I glued a sheet of thin foam and on that I glued a piece of an old bed sheet. I drew some lines to guide me when sewing this. That's right kids, not everything on a chopper is welded.

12083688315_f770390508_z.jpg

This really isn't for me, I don't have enough skills. But no lack of will.

12084062054_058a3acf27_z.jpg

Easy part done.

12191053324_bfbccb5252_z.jpg

Sorry 'bout the crappy IG picture, but it's the only one I've got right now. Anyways. The side patches was a PITA to get in place with that welt seam and without a proper machine. If I had access to another sewing machine, this might have turned out better and not taking so long. And not forcing me to stay sober while doin' this. Most of my chopper has been built UI of beer.

Now I just need a beefier staple gun, my new buttons and a bottom cover. Oh well.

Rear brake "Amen-fix"

So I learned from my fellas over at www.hondachopper.com that the reason for my rear wheel hitting only the left side of my rear fender while going over speed bumps and what not, has to do with the vertical movement of the rear axle instead of the radius movement normal swing arm bikes have. My rear brake shield is clamped down tight so when I go over a bump, my brake stay prevents my rear wheel from moving freely.
This is how it's fixed:
12084355056_10b367d4a9_z.jpg

Drilled out my brake shield and put a spacer in to take the pressure of the brake shield, allowing it to "float freely" around the rear axle as the wheel goes up and down. I had to remake my brake stay as well to accommodate the new movement. Like this.
12084330306_f1aa19a7c3_z.jpg

(The lower one is my new one.)
Again DIY. It's an addiction.

Shiny is the new black 2014

I tried to clean up my pipes just to find out that the left one is beyond fixing. The chrome is gone on that one.

Pre buff:
12084336926_2da9255789_z.jpg

Post buff
12084332986_bd19129bf1_z.jpg

So I got me some other pipes off of egay. Some old fishtails. I've been told they have some scratches, but no rust and not worn through the chrome. We'll see if they are useable. At $20 I can afford to take the chance. Thing is, now I need to weld my own pipes from my headers and back past my foot pegs. Thank god it's snowing outside..
12084189963_a92d81aaab_z.jpg

And I hit my left case with some 1000 grit and some cutting-/buffing wax. Will be getting some real shine on my cases when I'm done fabricating. I just had to try..
12190627435_e067d16772_z.jpg

Stabler - out.

Thanks guys.

I know the feeling DD, mine was half an inch away from the garbage can to, but I came around and had another go at it. Those welt seams really pushed all my buttons. The wrong buttons.

Back