Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

My Amen Savior CB750

So!

First build thread up in this m-f! I'm STOKED!!
    I really like the sister (or is it a distant relative?) board - and I have my other build posted there, so I just have to bite on this one as well.
    As stated, I'm building an Amen Savior CB750. This is how it looked when I got it last spring:

Not much at that time. With out wrapping:

I've since then built my shop (as seen in the back ground wasn't much to talk about some one and a half year ago) and started to gather parts.
    Got a frisco style Sportster tank..

..along with some other stuff:

And ended up here last fall:

Didn't like the girder so I got myself a narrow glide 35mm Harley front end.

And "shaved my legs":

As of now I'm getting some mounts for that tank. Just have to figure out where to fit them.

And tonight I'm getting my frame sanded so I can weld on my spring mounts for my seat and som other stuff. I'll get back with more pictures after that.

Stabler out.

Did some buffing. Oh - do I regret that now? YES! I'm now going for a more rough look. Like sandblasted. Buffing turned out kinda nice though - to bad it has to go.
    Anyone wanna trade a buffed sprocket cover for a non buffed? No cost just shipping - it's a CB750 sohc -75 and looks like this:

Lemme know!
    Everybody has a plan. Until they get a bee in their helmet.

www.barndrunks.com

Welcome! Great start you have there!

I thought that tank looked familiar!
    - Travis

Quote Originally Posted by Travis View Post
    Welcome! Great start you have there!

I thought that tank looked familiar!

Thanks Travis!

Yeah, I used it for mock up on my XS400. Got a new for that one now though, so this one is back where it belongs.

www.barndrunks.com

So. I'm not going to powder coat my lower front end legs or my wheels.
    I tryed to polish them last night and apart from the rear hub (that some stupid f*ck have clear coated) it was really easy!
    I started here:

And ended up here:

And here:

Just have to figure out how to get in between the fins on my rear hub..
    These are all done just with degreaser, a scotch brite wheel and a brass wheel. No compounds.

www.barndrunks.com

Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
    I really like your bike and where you're going with it, cool plunger frame. . . . trade ya! . . .just kidding . . . .(maybe?). I also really like the spartan shop you got too. It looks just the right size for 1 bike . . . . just need some tittie calenders up on those bare walls.

Haha.. Thanks man. What ya got to trade (with a clean title)? Mine has a clean California title, but one is always on the look out for new stuff!
    Yeah, the shop is kinda small - just got my two bikes there and it's kinda crowded as it is. I have another shop in the works, just waiting on a call back from the land lord on that one. The new one is about 2700 sq ft. That's like ten times the size of the shop I've got now. There I'll have enough room to spread sh*t out.. Just about 280 feet from my front door to the new shop, wich is sweeeeet. Fingers crossed that I'll get it.
    Titty calenders, check. Will get those as well. Good point!

www.barndrunks.com

The front hub looks nice. How long did that take?
    - Travis

Thanks Travis. It took about 20 min with a brass wheel mounted on my electric drill. Real easy. But I went on from there.. Took two different scotch brite cloths and brought it down a bit - to fit my new goal, or look. Pic's on that coming as soon as my tired ass phone gets 'em all up on Flickr.

www.barndrunks.com

My new friends, brass wheels and scotch brite works wonders. Compare this one to the picture above:

While I were at it I cleaned up my brake discs. Turned out pretty ok:

This is how I do most of my polisching/buffing, I just use different wheels. And the angle grinder with a scotch brite disc:

Kinda hard to make out how shiny this top tree really is, but here's a picture anyways:

This last one is 1,5 h total spent. Including splitting the fork and cutting off the tach and speedo mount by hand with an iron saw.

www.barndrunks.com

I've been messing around with cloth wheels and polishing compounds. It works, but is time consuming. I'm gonna give that brass wheel a go, that looks like the ticket. You went brass wheel first, Scotch Brite second? Is the clamp holding your drill something you made or bought? That looks like a nice setup also.

The clamp is bought. Something like $13. Money well spent.
    Depending on what surface your after you should use either one last. If you want a more shiny kinda look - finish with the brass wheel. If you want a more dull, but really clean look then the scotch brite wheel is the ticket. When I want "chrome finish" on a piece of bare metal I have to go all the way to cloth wheels and different compounds as well. Just the brass wheel will get your parts shiny, just a bit darker then if you use cloth wheels and compounds.
    That's how I did it. More of it here: www.barndrunk.com

www.barndrunks.com

Looking good! I've never had good luck polishing with a drill. Maybe my drill is just too slow. My buffing wheel that spins at 3,450rpm works much much better.
    - Travis

My drill is a cheap ass one. They don't last that long when you use 'em for polishing. The bigger the wheel the higher the speed (obviously) - and I can't lean in to much while polishing, but it get's the job done! I'll check the rpm's when I get out in the shop this afternoon.

www.barndrunks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stabler View Post
    My drill is a cheap ass one. They don't last that long when you use 'em for polishing. The bigger the wheel the higher the speed (obviously) - and I can't lean in to much while polishing, but it get's the job done! I'll check the rpm's when I get out in the shop this afternoon.
    So, my drill only works at 2800rpm. And it costs $17. I'm on my second as of now - first one lasted 1,5 year.

Took the angle grinder and electric drill to my lower legs. Quite a difference:

www.barndrunks.com

Well that's why my drill sucks for polishing... I think it only goes like 1,500rpm. Oh well, the regular buffing wheel works good!

You seem to be doing just fine with your setup. You're a polishing machine!
    - Travis

Haha.. A true machine I am. Spot on Travis.
    Since you have a buffing wheel the drill wouldn't be necessary I think? Well, maybe if you're going to polish some parts that's still mounted on your scoot that is..

I wish I had a real buffing wheel.. Too soon to write to Santa?
    Last edited by Stabler; 02-11-2012 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Wish list addon.

www.barndrunks.com

I used the drill for a while and then got the buffing wheel. I haven't used the drill since. This is the one I have: http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-...fer-94393.html It's cheap but it works. They're always on sale for $39.99. And I guess it spins at 3,600 rpm
    - Travis

Ya, well, if I could get my paws on something like that at that cost I would to. Here in Sweden the cheapest one I've found that is similar to that one is about $265. How sick is that?
    http://www.verktygsboden.se/polermas...rmaskin,-750-w

www.barndrunks.com

Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast