• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Pods vs Airbox???

dirty_pool

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey CB ppl. Ive just done a complete engine rebuild on my ‘79 750 DOHC stock carbs and airbox and I’m wondering what you guys think about pods. I’m not saying I’ve decided to make the change to pods rather looking for details on what’s involved with making the change as I know you don't just slap them on and go. Pros/cons? Jets? Exhaust? Make/models you’re using?

Any information would be great. Thanks!

Hey CB ppl. Ive just done a complete engine rebuild on my ‘79 750 DOHC stock carbs and airbox and I’m wondering what you guys think about pods. I’m not saying I’ve decided to make the change to pods rather looking for details on what’s involved with making the change as I know you don't just slap them on and go. Pros/cons? Jets? Exhaust? Make/models you’re using?

Any information would be great. Thanks!

How much experience do you have working with carbs?

Everyone I’ve spoken to and the majority of posts say “the carbs are jetted for the airbox” when you throw pods on which increases the amount of air drastically you run into all sorts of issues (not saying it can’t be done but jet swapping will be the easiest part) tuning and syncing will be it’s own headache

If you’ve got no experience with carbs might be best to leave it alone and just enjoy the bike as it was made...

If you’re going full cafe racer with 4 into 1 exhaust you may have to change the jets anyway so that’s another factor

Here is a good link to give you an idea of how many variables there are when you start changing things out of stock

http://www.cb750.com/threads/6406-1981-CB750C-carb-adjustments-Won%92t-idle-lower-than-1800-rpms

Lots of other good posts too in the DOHC garage section of this forum search for “pods”

Hope this helps or at least gets you started! Best of luck!

When all is said and done you will spend a lot of time just getting the bike to run as well as it did before using the OEM airbox. And very likely the slides will not be opening fully at 100% wide open throttle, limiting top end speed. And that is AFTER you work night and day on it.

Pods are for direct lift carbs, not ones that rely in a certain amount of choking back to open fully.

Only IF the exhaust is one that works, many don't and then that is a mistake. As well, it both denies that CVs auto self adjust jetting on their own to an extent and that they work slides best slightly lean. Of course the jetting kit makers won't tell you that part. The 10% jetting rule is also for direct lift carb type not CV.

I’m experienced with the carbs and already rebuilt them a few times now during this build so I knew there would be rejetting and exhaust changes...I was just hoping it would be a little less of a deal. I’m calling this build a sport cafe as I’m a very tall guy and a purists cafe just doesn’t look and feel right for me. It also has a slick paint job that includes the Airbox covers so I kept them in the design meaning there was no reason to go with velocity stacks which is what I normally do. Thing is I hate fighting with connecting the box to the carbs. I’m just going to stick with the original design and keep the box. Thanks dude.

There is no denying that the OEM airbox is utter crap to have to work with. But run pods long enough to get used to them and then come back to the OEM box and then you easily pick up on the low/mid bump in performance the box gives, you can't miss it.

Back