• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

New Member / Price?

vinylapple

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to purchase an '81 CB750C for $1500. 22,500 miles. I've attached a few pics. Runs great. Is this a good price?

1.jpg
2.jpg

Ask when the last time the valves were set and base it on that. Most of them never had it done or maybe once. Not nearly enough.

Depends on how bad you want it, to me that's a bit high but whatever.

I had the exact same bike for 30+ years without issues...perhaps I was lucky. To me, price seems OK. You could always make an offer. Just be prepared for Mr. Murphy to raise his ugly head. If you have NO mechanical ability, be wary. Otherwise bike looks OK from the photos you provided.

I've heard that before, then upon pulling engine apart I found bad valves all over the place, the engines are well known for doing it. when driven the machines tell you too but owner will often not allow for that at all. Trying to be careful and not insult but some people will tell you things like that and they never take care of anything at all. I used to work on cars from people like that and commonly you can find a hundred things wrong with cars they say are perfect. I am a master of that super detailed inspection type; there being no such thing as a used vehicle with zero problems if owned more than a year. Even if it sits doing nothing there is environmental damage.

It is what it is. A 40 year old bike will have rubber part damage from ozone and if ethanol in the local fuel likely fuel system damage too.

Certainly agree...Perhaps the prospective buyer will spend some time here and read, then make a more informed choice....or perhaps know what questions to ask.

Thank

Thanks, everybody. I did end up purchasing it for somewhat less. The year, model, and color are important for me for sentimental reasons. I did ride it before I bought it. Everything seems to be fine at the moment. It's going to be a little project for me upgrading things here and there so small things aren't an issue. The only thing I've noticed is one of the carbs overflowing. Stuck float I'm assuming, no big deal. He told me he had the carbs rebuilt but the guy wasn't real good at it (don't know why he let him do it but whatever).

If they run ethanol in your local fuel the needles can stick like crazy. All 4 will stick here in Texas if bike sits for 2 weeks.

Back