• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Bad lines or air in brake lines? 81 Custom

Rozbabbo750c

CB750 Member
Reaction score
So if taken apart my calipers, greased the sliders, felt that the piston was moving freely and reassembled everything. New master cylinder and fluid. I bleed the brakes and I have good pressure at the lever with no fading.

When the bike is rolling and I pull the lever to stop there is hardly enough stopping force to make the front forks dip down.

I'm using the original brake lines, which appeared to be in great condition. There are no cracks or dents in the braids nor any rust of corrosion within the banjo fittings. The fluid ran clear at the caliper while bleeding the system.

Could I have seized pistons in the calipers or could it be that my brake lines are expanding and failing to hold pressure?

There are no leaks.

Any feedback is appreciated.

The pistons can't be seized if you just verified they are not.

'...felt that the piston was moving freely...'

Similarly, no air in lines if this is true too.....

'I have good pressure at the lever with no fading.'

So, somewhere in there you are at war with yourself. Also, old brake lines get harder not softer, they do not really expand more but I'd dump them anyway as they will fail in an explosive fashion when they are old and likely when you least want them to. Dangerous.

Back