• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

newbie here

gasdude69

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello all . . .

Just got a line on a 1977 CB750K for sale in my hometown . . . owner is asking $3700. I went to look at it . . . it barely runs and leaks gas pretty bad. Sounds like it's been sitting so I'm sure I'm up for carb rebuilds. Seems to be in decent shape cosmetically, just can't tell much engine wise since, like I say, it barely runs, if at all. He got it started for a few seconds once or twice with healthy doses of choke and handfuls of throttle.

I offered him $2K, not sure how desperate he is to sell it, but that's about all I could comfortably give for it. Did I lowball him badly?? :)

How is parts availability for this bike? Is it a struggle to find engine/carb parts?

Thanks for any and all help!

Do as you will but here we don't give even that for something not running. I know I wouldn't and don't care how collectible it is. At the asking price it needs to be running and well.

The not running may well be to hide something. Try to get the speedo mileage, may tell you something.

I wouldnt give more than $500 for a barely running 750, $1000 if its all original and running. $3700 is way too much for a later model sohc, nothing special about a 77 k model to bring that kind of money.

Parts are readily available.

Hey, thanks for the advice. He turned down my offer of $2K, said he was "going to hang on to it for a while." The guy has a shit ton of vintage cars and admitted he "wasn't a bike guy." The $3.7K price he had I'm assuming was from Kelley Blue Book, because that's right around what I came up with from their site. Retail and in good shape. Oh well, guess I'll find another winter time rebuild project, I'm sure there's plenty out there. :shrug: Thanks again for the advice and who knows, maybe he'll get tired of sitting on it and give it up for something more reasonable. Oh, he had a CBX sitting in his office that he wasn't interested in selling . . . yet. Damn, sure would love to get my hands on that, but six carbs that most likely need rebuilt would be a HELL of a wintertime project! :laugh:

A CBX sitting in office likely denotes a big time seller with $ signs for eyes. Why he wanted so much, willing to let it rust before losing a cent of highly inflated value. He probably wanted 10K for it and not worth it. If not a '79 to be an '80 the value drops 20-25% because they removed the big cams from them.

I love CBXes but I will drop one in a second to have an 1100F, faster, better handling bike.

Hey Gasdude69
I'm going to be putting my CB750 K1 up for sale. I am in Denver CO area so close to you in Moab. Let me know if you're interested. I think it is a much better deal than what you were looking at. Great bike to tinker with till next summer. PM me if interested.

Back