• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

CB750K1 Front end hop

TheDudeAbides

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I've been creeping for a while now and cant figure out what's causing my front end to hop between 30 and 55 mph. I just bought the bike 2 weeks ago. I noticed the hop on my second ride. About 35 mph it becomes noticeable. Its a very rhythmic bounce too, not constant through the whole ride but more of a "duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-pause-duh-duh-duh-duh-duh-pause-...." so on and so forth. I took my front wheel off and took it to the local Honda dealership. Come to find out the spokes were incorrect for the wheel. Respoked and after retruing the wheel I thought the problem was solved. My wife and I took the bike out on Saturday and it rode great for about 2 hours while running a constant 40mph. I woke up yesterday morning and rode the bike to work to discover the bounce is back. I have ordered a Haynes manual and plan on tearing down to the triple tree to double check the steering stem bearings and make sure they're seated properly. The wheel is a 19". Is there anything I could look or adjust on the front forks? If the front forks weren't adjusted for preload, could this ultimately cause something similar? Other than that the bike runs like it just came off the showroom floor.

Look at the wheel rather than the forks. Specifically the wheel BEARINGS. Or bent wheel and should have showed up at respoking. You can roll one and see it by eye. Steering stem bearings cannot reproduce a regular bump with a regular pause in it at all, that is 100% rotational only. Even more so if the problem disappears or gets less at higher speeds.

Back