• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Top Triple Clamp

ProfoundlyItchy

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I'm trying (and failing) to find a billet top clamp for my 1981 cb750k. I ordered one from Cognitomoto that was supposed to fit my bike (the listing was "CB750F 75-78 & CB750K 77-78, CB750K 81-82"), but the holes for the fork tubes weren't even close to lining up. After a few emails back and forth with Cognito, and after sending them my stock top clamp measurements, we figured out my setup doesn't match anything they have.

As I said, I have a 1981 CB750k. It has 35mm Air assist forks, which is standard on the cb750k in '81 right? The fork center-to-center measurement is between 190-192mm and the offset is 50mm. Do I have an oddball setup? Any idea where I could get a billet top clamp to replace the ugly stocker?

Last edited:
You need to check as well if the fork has a dead straight matching angle of fork that is parallel to the steering head itself. Some of the DOHC are angled, the fork is not at the same angle the steering head is, meaning the holes in triples are angled not dead straight. It's to change trail for more stability on the cruiser bikes.

I don't know on K but on the 37 mm. F and SC (nighthawk) the first is straight and the latter is angled. You think the tops are the same but they do NOT interchange.

Honda changes the forks up 6 ways from sundown, you have to be careful with swapping stuff around.

If the holes were way too narrow in the new clamp then know that Honda spread the forktubes in '81 on a lot of them to get the bigger wheel and disc package in, they opened up maybe .300" His listing should have likely said '79-'80K instead of the later K.

Back