• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

ticking sound when 1st started

les49

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have a 1980 CB750F. Bike runs great. It has a light ticking sound when I first start it. It only lasts for 2 or 3 seconds. It sounds like a lifter tick but I doubt this bike has hydraulic lifters but I'm not sure. Oil is changed regularly with the correct weight.

Any thoughts???

Thanks, Larry

The noise going away that soon is not a good sign, usually oil galleries dripped dry to have to fill back up and around crank or head. The lifters are solid with no hydro and they can make a bit of noise but takes more like a couple minutes for it to lower due to temperature changes as engine warms up. Noise could possibly be primary chain tensioner, it is hydraulic.

You might be right on the primary chain tensioner. I just went and started it cold and the tick was there for 3 sec. Restarted it several times and NO tick. Waited about 15 mins and restarted with no tick. So you think chain has stretched to limit??? How big a job is this ???

Just turned 30,000 miles.

Please advise, thank you Larry.

Even brand new they can click for just a fractional second until the oil pressure comes up.

The cases split after engine removal to get to it. Noise not from chain stretch, from wear in the pressure parts. Loose bearings open up to leak oil out that has to refill the passages at startup.

20W-50 oil may help, lots of guys use it.

Back