• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Carb assembly stuck in engine manifold!

bertness72

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi all, new guy Rob here. Writing about my '92 Nighthawk 750. I am in the process of removing the carb assembly and it will not budge from the engine. I removed the airbox and the choke cable. All the clamps are loosened, just about to fall off. I shot some WD40 around the intake boots and let it sit for an hour... still will not loosen up. I searched the shop manuals for FAQ's regarding this, scoured the internet for videos regarding same, and looked into other blogs. No dice.
Has anyone out there had this same issue? What's the fix? Did I miss a secret screw or a phantom bolt somewhere?
Any help/advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance...
Rob

Enough mileage the carb manifolds have cooked hard as rock to crack in pieces when you finally get carbs off. Not unusual.

Hi, Thanks for the tip. I tried it and it worked well.
I pulled the carb assembly out and went to town. Had a challenge with the slow jets. They were completely clogged. Let them soak in carb cleaner for 2 days, now they look like brand new.
Any suggestions on how to clean the varnish off the floats? Is it a bad idea to soak the plastic pieces in the carb cleaner? If they are submerged will they fill up with fluid???
Thanks for your time.
Rob

Glad it worked. Not sure if carb cleaner is harmful to the the plastic floats if left immersed for a long time but you could try wiping them down with the stuff. I know thinners and acetone is often used to get the varnish out of fuel tanks but again, not sure if they’ll hurt the plastic. Leaving them for a while in some fuel might soften the varnish and probably a safer option to try first. Whatever you do immerse them in, if it gets inside the floats, that suggests the floats are leaking and should be replaced. Hope this helps.

Carb cleaner is not as destructive as acetone but there is a small amount of acetone in all fuel. I'd try soaking one float only in acetone and if it damages it you will know quick enough. May not hurt it at all. The floats are thinking nylon and acetone won't touch them.

Like said they will not leak fuel in if they are OK.

Back