• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Setting float height on 1979 cb750K

VWBug

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Looking for proper procedure to set float height. Manual states height should be 15.5 mm, but unsure if this is with carbs lying flat or turned on side. Having difficulty getting 15.5 mm when carbs are on side? Thanks for any input.

I have never ever heard of setting floats on carb sides, it's simply whacky. You set them with the bank upside down like every other carb set on earth. The float must rest on the spring in the needle if it has one.

Wondering as well what sitting 'flat' means, somebody is out to confuse himself in every way possible.

Thanks for response. Just to clarify, what was meant by flat is what I believe you are referring to as upside down with float bowl/floats facing up. This is how I understood was process. I have seen and read where it is recommended that carbs are placed such that floats are facing out to side. Then you tip carb until float tab just touches float needle. Measure and set at this point is direction. So this is the reason for my question as to clarification. Fairly new to working on CB 750's and just looking for confirmation of process.

The problem with that method is that it in no way tells you how good the needle bumpers are. Why you put them upside down to look at how far each float sinks into that needle tip. That can easily totally foul up your settings not doing that.

Use the later plastic floats and problem solved, I have never had a problem ever using them; they stay dead on. Odd as when I first saw them I cursed them. No more. You can't even set them if you want to. It gets rid of one more problem.

Back