• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How far should it coast?

gregb6718

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
My 1982 SuperSport seems to slow down really quickly when I pull in the clutch. What would be a reasonable distance for it to coast down from say 50 mph on a level road? Anybody tried this with their bike? Thanks

They will slow down 10X faster than a bicycle at the same speed, beyond that you are playing a losing game as asking for distances will have such wild guesses as most cannot estimate footage traveled over the ground at speed. Look at normal braking distances given in car specs, nobody can ever guess even near where they will stop except maybe a braking expert.

You'll get some coast inertia down to 25-30 then it will slow down pretty quick after that. You're still turning like 12 gears at 9 zillion rpm even with clutch pulled in, and a clutch slipping a viscous coupling too. And 500+ pounds to boot not to mention you.

With bike on stand spin the rear wheel, it should be able to go around two turns with a good yank, the front off ground the same, more because no chain on it.

Any trouble will show up fastest in pushing bike in garage while sitting on it, if brakes dragging you'll know it quick. Say trying to pushstart one when the starter quits with dead battery, you'll do good to get 15-25 feet at the point you stop to jump on. A lot of drag there, normal.

Thanks for your thoughts, amc49. I had a chance to check the front tire spin with the bike on the center stand tonight. I got about 3 and a half turns. Not sure I'd get 2 with the back wheel. It rolls around in the garage pretty easily so I guess it's normal. It does have a surprising amount of drag. I have only had one other bike, a 75 Kawasaki H1 F and these kind of questions never occurred to my 19 year old self then.

Back