• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

77 CB 750 Supersport. Cannot get it to run over 5000 RPM withouot missing and dying

gdickins1225

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Stumped. I have 77 Super sport. The carbs have been cleaned. Installed new plugs. It will idle and run through all the gears up to 5000 RPM before trying to die I can feather the throttle sometimes and it will exceed. But when you put a load on it (going up hill) it just has no throttle response. When you get to 4800-5000 it just starts sputtering and dying no power.
Sounds like a fuel delivery issue, or possibly bad coil. I did notice oil leakage on cylinder 1. So could have several issues.

So asking for possible solutions and what to look for. I need to rebuild as some point as the engine does use oil.

Thanks

Greg

Compression check, if way down anything you do is a waste of time and money until the rebuild happens. Dead engines won't rev.

Dunno if '77 is still points but if so that could do it too if they are way off. Bad point gap is same as bad coil.

Yes go after the points and condensor. Would suggest getting a complete plate with points and condensor installed. Check and set gap, timing and dwell.

Did not bench sync the carbs. Not sure how to do that. Did not think that far out as will idle and accelerate well. It is just at the 5000 RPM that things go south.

Back