• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Is it a labor of love?

Head71

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I was given a '71 CB 750. It had been garaged a while but I got it running. I'm not really a rider these days so I plan on selling it. I've enjoyed working on it and have been doing a few mechanical and cosmetic things to get it in better shape but don't have the skills to totally rebuild it. I believe it's road worthy but thought I'd be able to sell it for more if I replace some worn items. The tank and side covers need repainted and possibly replaced so it looks like it did when it first sold. The problem is, for what I'm paying to improve this bike, I'm not sure I'll make any more of it than if I sell it the way it is. It needs replacement parts so it's not going to be original equipment...repainting, maybe replacing the exhaust, speedo and tach repairs or replaced, tires, etc. Not original but not totally converted either. Does a bike like this bring more than a few thousand dollars in today's market? Are these bikes more a labor of love? Can you turn a profit on one that isn't original equipment? I'll probably have a couple thousand in it when I'm done but there will still be things for a new owner to take on. Thanks for reading my long post.

Only by riding it will you recover enough. The big bux only go for all original. And highly likely the person buying it from you will resell for higher after you. The guy doing the work always gets soaked.

Why I NEVER sell mine, they go to the scrapyard after I'm done. The estate sale will be pretty interesting.

Only by riding it will you recover enough. The big bux only go for all original. And highly likely the person buying it from you will resell for higher after you. The guy doing the work always gets soaked.

Why I NEVER sell mine, they go to the scrapyard after I'm done. The estate sale will be pretty interesting.

Thanks for the reply. I feel like I've taken this poor orphan off the street. I am going to clean it up, give it a change of clothes and a meal and send it on its way. I do enjoy working on it but don't need another mouth to feed. KIMG1673.jpg

Thats hard to say since prices seem to be all over the map. At this time, I wouldnt sell it for less than $1500 but Im making more repairs and a paint job is planned so I plan to keep working on it. My investment will end up around $3000 I expect when Im done. At that time, when Ive done all I can, Ill try and sell it.

Here in Texas where your pricing thoughts are well in line. There may well be crazies in Colorado though that will pay far higher if they come from the rich part of the state say Aspen. I've heard of CB360 going for that much. In Texas where the R's hold a chokehold on all they will not give nearly so much.

Yep, I hear ya. I can only hope that I get my money back once I'm done. From what I've seen, most guys won't pay much at all for this classic bike. I am a bit surprised because I think it is very cool, enjoy riding it, and working on it. It's probably a generational thing since I'm 60 y.o. I got a look from another biker who was out in his yard in the neighborhood when I rode past his house. I don't know if he was admiring it or thinking I was crazy.

Why I ride them myself until they are dead, the only way you truly get your moneys' worth. Like with the cars.

Thanks Gary, I pm'd you. I'm in the middle of painting it right now so here is an update for anyone else who is interested. Side covers were cracked and saving them was a lost cause so I bought new ones. the tank had a few minor dents so I bondo'd what I saw and repainted all. The existing paint job was old and faded so I decided to repaint it. I was not fond of the metallic green so I decided to go with the candy gold. I bought paint online and painted it in my garage. Not a great environment not having a clean paint booth but I managed without too many floating particulates hitting the paint job. Bought the decals to keep the original look on the tank for the candy gold. Going to buy new badges even though the old ones are usable and buying new decorative strips for the bottom edge of the tank. Here are some pics of the painting process.thumbnail_KIMG1848.jpgthumbnail_KIMG1894.jpgthumbnail_KIMG1881.jpgthumbnail_KIMG1880.jpg

ITS LABOR.....AND I LOVE IT!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20211230_132932.jpg
    IMG_20211230_132932.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_20211206_181024.jpg
    IMG_20211206_181024.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_20211202_165617.jpg
    IMG_20211202_165617.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_20211202_165633.jpg