• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Oil leaking from cover next to the oil pan.

SlickFox

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I have owned my 78 CB750 for a few years now and have constantly been chasing down an oil leak. I think I have narrowed it down to the circular cover that is appears to be held in place by an extrude from the oil pan (I attached an image for clarification). I was wondering if anyone knew what the cover is called and if there is a fix without having to take the engine out and sealing it from the inside. Any help will be much appreciated.

IMG_2588.jpg

Thanks

Never seen one leak, never even had that plug out so couldnt tell you how its sealed. Probably that silicone used on the pan...not a good gasket and bad news for this motor. Silicone gets soft breaks off and makes it way to the oil orfices in the head and destroys your cam towers and camshaft and whatever else all the metal then goes into.

Thanks for the information on the silicone. Fortunately, I haven't put many miles on the bike since adding the silicone and I'll be sure to remove it to avoid future damage. I've been checking the area around the oil pan though and have not seen any oil leaks so I think the gasket is holding. I will try and get a picture before wiping off the oil next time though.

Put a new honda gasket without silicone. Only other common leak on the bottom is the neutral switch...leak often

Back