• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Help with front axle alignment after fork rebuild

bigj750

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have looked around the forums and no one seems to have the same problem as me. I got the fork seals changed and put the forks in the top triple trees evenly. But it seems to me the axle is not on evenly. Example when I press the front brake there is no pressure and I can see the front wheel move as if it's being pushed sideways on the rotor. Maybe I missed a simple thing? Thanks guys

There's more than one thing that may be wrong there and nobody will be able to tell until you give the exact year and model.

If you have all parts on and speedo drive too the axle automatically centers on the disc side and you push lower forks together to take out slop on the other side, the axle ends up hitting the step to be correct. Meaning there is no way the wheel CAN'T be centered.

You must back off the center screw in caliper bracket counterclockwise to let the brake caliper be super loose while fitting the wheel or it will interfere with the work. Once axle is tight then you get somebody to sit on bike on centerstand to lift front wheel clear of the ground and slow screw the caliper bracket bolt (slot head screw to identify it) back clockwise while turning the wheel until the wheel begins to drag and then back off the screw a 1/4 turn to hust loosen it back up and done. The brake caliper MUST be adjusted after installing the front wheel as you have to mess it up to get the wheel in easily and correctly.

If you have all parts on and speedo drive too the axle automatically centers on the disc side and you push lower forks together to take out slop on the other side, the axle ends up hitting the step to be correct. Meaning there is no way the wheel CAN'T be centered.

You must back off the center screw in caliper bracket counterclockwise to let the brake caliper be super loose while fitting the wheel or it will interfere with the work. Once axle is tight then you get somebody to sit on bike on centerstand to lift front wheel clear of the ground and slow screw the caliper bracket bolt (slot head screw to identify it) back clockwise while turning the wheel until the wheel begins to drag and then back off the screw a 1/4 turn to hust loosen it back up and done. The brake caliper MUST be adjusted after installing the front wheel as you have to mess it up to get the wheel in easily and correctly.

Tried that doing the same bull crap I had a shop center the axle on for me nothing helped. The brake is so mushy as compared to before it was amazing

Don't know what to say, did the exact same on my 550 which is virtually the same parts design and it worked fine every time I did it. Rebuilt those forks myself too. I could lock the front wheel hard enough to throw you over the bars.

There is NO centering of the axle there at all, you simply make sure the one side has fork pushed pushed in to hit the speedo IIRC and done. Anybody 'trying to center it' does not know what they are doing, there being no centering to be done. The disc falls where it falls and the caliper bracket then sets the caliper correctly for the disc.

If something has gone wrong with caliper or MC there is nothing in installing the wheel that will fix that.

Last edited:
Back