• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

'79 LTD Rear Tire

Bloody Mary

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I need a rear tire. The current mounted tire is 4.50-17. Tire dealers I have searched state that the rear is 18". Even Partzilla shows it as an 18" tire. This bike is all stock with the Comstar wheels. Cannot find a 4.50-17 vintage style tire anywhere. What would be the proper metric size....as close to original as possible?
Appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks.

Well a 120 is about 4.00/4.25 so I'm guessing a 130. Possibly a 140. They used to put 110 on the front and earlier ones got 100.

You don't see tires marked in the old school numbers any more, the world has moved away from that. The tire shop should be able to look up the interchange numbers.

A lot of places never figure out that the earlier 750K used smaller wheel either.

So I've noticed...Also, none of the equivalent sizes have a tread pattern I'm looking for. All seem to be for sport bikes. I did find a 4.50-17 on Ebay, however, it was made in 2004 and so hard that it was unuseable....sent it back.
Thanks for your advice.

Yes, any tire old enough to carry the older marking will likely be too old and hard to use. Rubber degases over time to lose volatile component that keeps the rubber more flexible. It does it even faster sitting in an uncooled warehouse. I had really nice brand new supple tires that the only place to put them was the attic, they ruined in a couple years. You can't win against the physics.

Back