• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Transmission popping out of gear

blocke

CB750 New member
Reaction score
So I’m riding along the other day and my CB 750 DOHC just pops out of gear. No warning whatsoever. I pulled the clutch basket out and looked over the shifter linkage. Hard to shift between gears and won’t go into fifth. Any suggestions would be great

So I’m riding along the other day and my CB 750 DOHC just pops out of gear. No warning whatsoever. I pulled the clutch basket out and looked over the shifter linkage. Hard to shift between gears and won’t go into fifth. Any suggestions would be great
I am having the same issue. 1983 750 nighthawk. It will not stay in 5th gear. It doesn't make any grinding noises, it just won't go into 5th. I've had this bike and cruise around without 5th gear. I have to spend themoney on tires and brakes, chain, etc. I'll worry about 5th gear next year. Because I can't crack the engine open. Let me know what happened with yours. Good luck

I sort of have the same issue on my 77 CB 750 K where it will not stay in first gear and pops out. I’m fairly confident mine is a shift fork that is bent but it’ll be a few months before I tear into the engine
The remaining gears are fine.

on the 77 pull the shifter side cover and check that the screw on the end of the shift drum hasnt loosend up, if it does it can make it so the shift linkage doesnt push the drum all the way and making it not go all the way into gear. Easy check before you split the cases.

on the 77 pull the shifter side cover and check that the screw on the end of the shift drum hasnt loosend up, if it does it can make it so the shift linkage doesnt push the drum all the way and making it not go all the way into gear. Easy check before you split the cases.
Sadly, the only screw I have loose, is not that one.😜

Back