• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Shill bidding on Ebay

GaryGruber

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I've been looking for a decent condition 750 for about two months now. Nothing near me physically. I have bid on at least a dozen bikes on Ebay, but have become quite angry at the shill bidding that appears on nearly every single auction. Invariably there will be one or two brand new Ebay accounts with no history of purchases that bid up the price and then disappear when they win. The owner then offers you a 'second chance' to purchase the bike at the price you bid that was inflated by the false bids.

Neither the owner nor Ebay will stop this, because they both gain by having the prices jacked up artificially. It is quite frustrating however. I see bikes listed, then relisted 3-4 times before the owner stops trying to sell.

Crazy world...

Here's an example (I'm gg_1967)

Attachments

• shill.jpg
    shill.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 149
It is irritating. I get away from most of it by not buying complete bikes, the perceived worth is always too high to me anyway. The last 2 DOHC I got were given to me for free.

Back