• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1983 CB650 Gear Lash

Ccking1940

TIPS22
Reaction score
Howdy,

Bought a new (to me) 83 650. Overall really pleased with the shape that it's in. However, I noticed a large amount of gear lash, as in the rear wheel rotated about three to four inches between positive lock-up with an engagement surface someplace in the transmission. Makes it a little clunky to drive going on and off power.

My first thought was the u-joint on the drive shaft must be shot. No luck, the drive shaft is in great shape to include the u_joint. No play found after the output gear back to tire anyplace. Next I figured it must be something in the output gear, attempted to get off but after looking through an old manual it would seem it is a bit of a pain. So I figured I would take a look at the clutch. Disassembled the clutch, everything was within spec a measured almost new. (16k on odomoter). Noticed after having the clutch apart that the lash was definitely someplace between the clutch transmission plate and the output gear.

Now I guess, I'm wondering if it's worth pulling this motor out to remove the out putgear casing, not sure what surface would be so poorly misaligned that it would case that much back lash. (first driveshaft bike BTW)

Thanks
Curtis

Worried for nothing, no bike on the planet holds much closer than that and normal. You have a whopping stackup of clearances by the time you get to the back wheel with all power having gone through several gear interfaces to be that loose. Go to bike dealer and put one in gear and then rock the back wheel, you will get the exact same thing.

Or jack your FWD car front end up in the air and check how loose the tires are when in park, everybody freaks out at how loose they are. NORMAL.

3-4 inches rocking is good, normal can be 6.

You should have CX650 if the V-twin with shaft drive, a CB650 inline 4 is chain drive.

Back