• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Primary gears

Sasha123

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Have put primary gears together and tightened end bolt but floating gear on the end does not line up with clutch cog so when you turn clutch gear lifts out.am I tightening end bolt to much or am i missing something hope you can help

If talking early DOHC that allen head bolt tightens to 60-70 ft.lbs. You don't tighten it at all until the case halves are bolted together, let it slip easily at that outer thin gear. Come up with some type of a reminder to not forget to tighten it later.

Ok that makes sense the only thing that bothers me why does the outer thin cog not line up with the other one on the shaft

Count the number of teeth on the thin gear and the thick one. It varies by one tooth. Meaning every full turn the thick gear makes the thin one goes off by one tooth. If you have all parts correctly located in place when bolt is tightened the thin gear is not 100% hard locked, it drags back by that one tooth with every revolution. It is basically clutched by the fastening pieces and still turns but with effort. That's what allows it to slightly not turn as fast as the thicker gear.

It is an automatic recompensating anti-backlash device to keep all the slack in that gearset to a minimum to lower gear noise and impact hits to the gear teeth. It saves having to match the primary gears in matched gearset pairs too, which would be needed if it wasn't there and allows machining tolerances to be looser with no issues. $$$$$$ saved for Honda making the engines.

You take a screwdriver and carefully pry the thin gear teeth to move it. You make both the thick and thin line up teeth at the gear contact point of the clutch basket housing gear. That makes the mismatch happen on the other side of gears where it hurts nothing and that is the way the gears run in use too.

Back