• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Do I just put the gears in?

1slowCB

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I took apart the side cover and the gears fell out with the cover. The big gear spun freely a few teeth. Is this timing related at all or anything? Or can I just put them back in and close the cover?

20200627_185430.jpg

Yes. No timing involved there.

Whatever you do, do NOT ever try to bump the starter with the cover off! That hollow shaft is supported on the outer end by the cover and it will tilt sideways locking up the geartrain and then the case cracks to ruin it.

The 3 shiny silver bolts need to always be checked for tightness, they come loose and then starter will rattle, drag, or pop loose instead of fully driving the motor to start. The trick is to remove the long center bolt holding on the advance unit and then remove the clutch (with the 3 bolts) and degrease it to loctite the 3 bolts so they don't come loose but that long center bolt got loctited itself on some engines and it then can be an utter b-tch to get loose.

Back