• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1979 CB750 noob. Fender. They gave me the parts but didn't give me the bolts

weezbo

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi, all. I'm coming to you as an ignorant noob, hat in hand, with my first motorcycle and a ton of capacity for learning (aka, I don't know anything).

I bought my 750 from an old coworker who told me it was a 1989. I'm not mad about that (it's very cheap and it runs) but it did lead to a few wild goose chases.

Anyway, he delivered the bike with the seat and rear fender assembly off because, he said, I would want to replace the low riding shocks it had with the stock shocks. That part was no problem. He gave me a literal bucket of parts along with the bike and went on his merry way.

Unfortunately, the bucket of parts, which includes the fender and some body bits (farings?), did not contain any of the nuts and bolts to actually put it together. I've tried looking at online schematics of the assembly to see what I need but I'm lost and most of the bits I'm missing seem to be out of stock everywhere. Since I have NONE of the nuts and bolts I can't even take some to a hardware store and sift through their bins to find matching ones. Knowing where to get a replacement seat and the stuff for mounting that would be good, too. If I need a more specific model number, I need some guidance on figuring that out as well. Thanks to coronavirus, my buddy is unable to get the title out of the bank to send to me yet if it would be on there.

Can someone please take me by the virtual hand and point me to how to get this stuff?

I for one would never spend a cent or lift a finger until I had a clear title. That's the oldest trick in the book.

I mean... OK. Take your internet points for being a real smart cookie, I guess?

Any idea how to get the bolts now that I've fallen for the oldest trick in the book? Unfortunately, I'd already found the sites mentioned on my own and those were the ones that showed me the parts I need are all out of stock at those sites online.

Well, 'ignorant noob, hat in hand'..........you can do this.

Find out exactly what model you have, some of the bolts may vary due to it. The riveted plate on the front steering head, or the engine or frame number will hint at it. RCO1, RCO2, etc. There is K, L, C, SC, and F models.

Go back to the first link there Partzilla and look the bolts up again, they have the measurements on the part number listings. Take '6X10', or a 6 mm. bolt 10 mm. long. The 6 is bolt shank diameter, NOT the size of the head hex. The thread pitches are standard Japanese ISO so 6 mm. bolt uses 1.0 mm. and 8 mm. uses 1.25 thread. A nut has no length therefore size only given, the pitch matches the others.

Buy your bolts at like a local Ace Hardware, you would pay 5X trying to buy them from Honda. Any specialty bolt say one with a shoulder you will have to replicate in some other way.

I for one quit buying OEM bolts over 40 years ago, they will bankrupt you. Only the most specialty of bolts like TTY and head bolts and such. And the scrapyards are full of those. If you luck out to have a bike scrapyard around that will save you a mint. I had a couple at one time and used them up while I had them around.

Last edited:
Back