• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Clutch not dis engaging

untill62

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok,it’s been at least a year since I have had my bike running. Just cleaned carbs. I was going to take it for a test, but the clutch is not disengaging. When i have clutch in and put into 1st, it just lurches forward and kills. Clutch not working. It’s like popping the clutch at idle.
This has always happened but after a couple attempts, clutch plates usually let go and it works, but this time, no.
I took cover off, just out of curiosity, and yes cable ok and dos pull down at clutch.
Any quick easy way to get clutch to release? Thanks

plates are stuck together. Take them out separate them oil them up put them back in. Happens often when the oil drains out after long periods of time.

How motivated are you? Start it in first gear with clutch lever released. Hang on because it will start rolling as soon as you hit the button. The plates will break free relatively quickly.

Don't you mean with clutch lever pulled in? With it released you are in low gear and moving, the clutch is locked to connect.

Uh, you pull the lever in which disengages the clutch, not have the LEVER released while in gear, that latter is a normal clutch engaged situation and the clutch will NEVER break the plates apart like that. If the clutch/starter interlock is working bike won't even start then too. Post #3 is right if you delete the word 'lever'.

Put bike in low gear and pull the clutch lever IN and hit the starter and the plates break loose but try to jerk the bike forward while doing it until they come unstuck. I did it all the time with my Barnett clutch pack, they stuck every day.

Last edited:
No, not sure which part wasnt understood. i meant be sure bike is in 1st gear. Do NOT pull clutch lever in; hang on, and hit the button. The bike will roll, and will buck and will start. Keep riding, the plates will break free.

Again, if the clutch/starter interlock is working as it should be you can't start bike in gear clutch out. You would have to defeat the clutch switch to it.

I meant getting the plates unstuck without doing all that. You absolutely must have some runway too as clutch not working means you will have to positively think kill switch in a spot. If you don't panic. Holding the lever in commonly unlocks the plates in a second, the weight resistance of bike and rider of the bike pops them loose. Bike will start then too.

plates are stuck together. Take them out separate them oil them up put them back in. Happens often when the oil drains out after long periods of time.

Ok Dirtdigger, i tried the other method suggested by the others and it didn’t work, so now i will take plates out and do what you suggested. Take out clean off, then thin coating of oil? I assume not much?
Thanks to the other guys for the suggestion, tried twice, no luck.

Also it looks like i need a special socket to get off the larger nut in middle. They call it box wrench, but looks just like special socket. I’ll go on line, see if I can find one and a new gasket.
I am still trying to figure out how this clutch works. I am very familiar with cars, trucks. Pressure plate, clutch disc, but this is different. Will see if i can find on line explanation.

Put as much oil as you want, it runs in oil.

You can easily make the socket by cutting a socket that is the appropriate diameter. Or if you can weld use a piece of tube the correct size and make the notches then weld a socket on the the other end. If all else fails I have seen and used a punch and hammer, boogers up the nut a little but still usable,

You can easily make the socket by cutting a socket that is the appropriate diameter. Or if you can weld use a piece of tube the correct size and make the notches then weld a socket on the the other end. If all else fails I have seen and used a punch and hammer, boogers up the nut a little but still usable,

Thanks, I’ll try cutting a socket, and the feedback.

When I took the cover off, by the way, not much oil at all came out?
I assume then that it gets engine oil in some way?

When I took the cover off, by the way, not much oil at all came out?
I assume then that it gets engine oil in some way?

I got the clutch off and separated the discs and the plates between them.
There did seem to be the slightest bit of rust and the discs left a little mark on the plates. I want to use some 1000 or 2000 grit sandpaper to just clean off the plates a little. Then clean real well and oil.
Do you think that would be a good idea?

My 1970 had set for a number of years and when I got around to getting it running again the clutch plates were stuck. Looking for a fix i got gobs of replies which was really confusing. I scratched my head a bit and came up with a plan. I pulled the clutch lever in and tied it down so it would stay pulled in. I let the bike set overnight and lo and behold the clutch freed up. The clutch springs did all the work. Now that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Back