• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Mercury sync tool with air bubbles

untill62

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, i am trying to use a mercury sync tool that I haven’t used in years and there seems to be a lot of air in the mercury stream. As you know the tower is about 18-20” tall and when i start it its obvious they are out of sync, but with so much gap between mercury that is fluctuating, just can’t get good reading. Any way to settle the mercury into nice solid column? Thanks

Try laying it on its side to allow the bubbles to float to one end??

I will try a that, but it’s not really bubbles. My description is more that it’s not a solid column of mercury but short/ long dashes of mercury. In between the dashes, just gaps in the mercury column.
Maybe to you it’s the same thing?
When it’s not hooked up and I’m just looking at the tower, I see no mercury. It’s there just out of sight until engine is running, if that all makes sense?

Hold the tower vertically and lightly tap the bottom against a firm surface, not hard enough to damage it. The impact will force the heavier mercury to degas the air through it and then drop down to clump back together. Like the T-1000 liquid metal man. Think of Momma shaking a thermometer to get all the mercury to the bottom before checking your temperature. The idea being to use inertia to put the mercury where you want it. Have a care for where the vent is to vent the backside of the mercury, you don't want mercury coming out of that depending on where it is located.

Store the tower vertically and the mercury never spreads out. Got one 30 years old still in fine shape.

Thanks, i did tap the bottom of the tower with a rubber hammer and it helped eliminate almost all of the gaps in the mercury column. You guys are a great help.
I’m an old guy(68), and i don’t know what i would do without a computer. Opens up the world doesn’t it?

Yes, it does. But you have to have the filters to be able to get past some of it, 7 billion voices at one time can be a bit to sort out.

Back