• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Pod Filters on my 82 CB750F?

ryan_dynamite

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I see there are already a bunch of threads on very similar topics but have a few queries.
I have taken off the original airbox and fitted pod filters onto my 82 CB750F, it did run fine prior to this. Now it will get to 6000 the first rev then about 4500 after that, but if left at idle it will go high revs then limit itself back to about 4500rpm.
I have tried it with the choke closed and it runs a bit better, then wrapped old t-shirt around the filters and with the choke closed this runs quite well (these were suggestions I saw on here so thought I would do some research to offer as much info as possible) This all makes me think it is running lean, and there for will need bigger jets (I think).

I have come to the conclusion that I will need to get a few sizes of jets to try and see which ones run best, any suggestions on what sizes? I saw on one of these somewhere try with the pilot jets then the other ones (or the other way around), which ones are the pilot jets? I have a manual and keep referring to this and it does help but only has how to replace, assuming you would of course be using all the exact same bits as the original.

Any help/thoughts would be great, I am trying to do as much of this by myself as possible, this is my first bike and enjoy tinkering so taking it to be done is possible but that doesn't give me any satisfaction, I am sure you all know what I mean.

In all honesty with the CV carbs I would put the stock air box back on. You will pull all your hair out trying to get it jetted right and it still will never run perfect with the pods. Its just the nature of the CV carbs, they suck to try and get them jetted right unless you can spend hours on a dyno and have jets and springs at your disposal. Dynojet did make jet kits for these bikes back in the day but good luck finding one anymore.

they are balanced with the restriction of the air box, they knew it too, its designed to not be bypassed

Ah I see. I wanted to put the pods on as the airbox is really ugly and the look of the pods is a lot more of the look that i wanted, but then don't want to be just wasting time on something that I can't really fix. You said it's not worth it for the CV carbs, it may be more expensive but is there an alternative set of carbs somewhere, maybe aftermarket or from a different bike that would work with the pods? It would be nice to give the bike a little more juice as well so new carbs wouldn't be entirely out of the question.

Check out Cycle Exchange. They can set you up, best thing would be to talk to Ken about what would be the best route to go for your needs. They offer aftermarket as well as reworked stock type of carbs. They just started offering the DOHC carb service on there website, I know he would have some tricks up his sleeve to get you where you want to be.

Hello! I have the same issues... went for the simplistic notion that the bike would run well... mine was made from a '96 nighthawk... got another set of carbs, had them jetted, changed needles... it runs bad at low revs, once I get going it is less noticeable... i'll definitely check out cycle exchange. thx.

Back