• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Coker tire style for grooved roads

Dashcop

CB750 New member
Reaction score
I’ll post some pics later of my 1981 cb750f cafe build when I get the tires on. I’m pretty set on the 4.50-18 rear and 4.00-19 front Coker tires, however, here in Utah almost every road is grooved and the tread of the Coker tires makes my bike sway when going over 30mph. My initial tire was the Shinko 270 but it was all over the road, I had to zigzag from side to side to keep the steering under control.

Are there any tires that would accomplish this look, yet provide a smooth ride on these Utah roads?

Look at the tread patterns. Your problem is the definite grooves in road, the narrower your tread comes to being straight grooved itself the worse the tire will run on that type road surface. The two (tire and road) lock grooves and then they follow each other. Why the older 'universal' tread type was invented, it uses lots of diagonal zigzag tread that does not run straight, it then cannot lock with the road grooves.

Looked up the tire. The zigzag there is far too little sideways, you are essentially running a straight grooved tire. BAD. They should suck even more in water, there are no water exits at all in that tread pattern. It then stacks up in the grooves to hydroplane much easier.

https://www.bikebandit.com/tires-tu...ge-gold-seal-motorcycle-tire/p/3557?rrec=true

Ignore the brand, size, price..........that is a universal pattern that eats highway grooves for breakfast and has excellent water drainage too.

The more tread percent that runs SIDEWAYS across the tire as compared to running in line with rotation the better the tire works on grooving. When you lock into demanding a 'look' that is that narrow straight line pattern you have locked into wanting older technology that has killed lots of people.

Last edited:
Back