• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

How do these bearings look

BAMotobuild

CB750 Member
Reaction score
This is my first go at an engine rebuild and Im torn on if I should replace both rod and main bearings. Engine had 36k miles with low compression on all cylinders. I believe these are the original bearings as they still have their green and brown markings on them and I haven't seen too much to say this has been opened before. Plastigauge on all of them falls within .00125-.00175. It never seemed to be small enough for .002. The crankshaft looks clean, i mic'ed it and there is no sign of out of round or taper.

One half does have a major gash in it, others some very light scratching but you cant feel it. Most of the main seems as they suffer from dirt and air in the oil if I am looking at these correctly but most of it seems like normal wear. As for the rods, they seem good expect for the over half where they are most worn.

As im already here, I the right thing to do will be to replace. I have already purchased new tensioners, rings, gaskets and such. If so, should I stick with the same color as before? Are there any 3rd parties that you would recommend? A new set of honda bearings is about $240.

Pictures are in drive. https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1GdxMenIGJFQUWz9Kx8gtvlI4qbdiwPlY?usp=sharing

Thank you for all of you help!

That many miles I do. A couple of the mains looked a little rough. If you did not mark each to exact location you can't reuse them anyway. You will have needed to do that throughout the entire head too.

Oh yea I have everything labeled and organized well. While I’m here I figured I mine as well. Thank you for your help.

Back