• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

93 nighthawk 750 - leaking oil?

edjlu

CB750 New member
Reaction score
Hey all,

New to these parts and a bit of a dunce when it comes to mechanical stuff.

I've got a 1993 Nighthawk 750 with 34,500 miles on it - bought it with 28k. I've ridden it a couple times offroad, enough to know that I should stop doing that - had the fork seals recently rebuilt as I had completely busted them.

Now I seem to have (multiple?) oil leaks as well - on the left side of the engine, and recently when I came back home I realized there seems to be a bit on the underside as well (see pictures attached).

I'm a bit lost here - any help would be appreciated :D

photos and video: https://imgur.com/a/M9KNUVw

The seals on street bikes were never intended to take that much dirt thrown on them and likely you have torn them up like the fork seals. The problem being many of the engine seals are stepped to require engine removal and teardown to replace them, they will not simply press in or out like dirtbike seals commonly do.

And if you have impacted the oil pan to crack it to leak that will be an issue as well.

damn, so I would have to replace the engine seals? Any insight as to how difficult that would be to do myself, or how much it would cost to get a mechanic to do it?
And as for the oil pan, I'm assuming that would have to be replaced as well?

Thanks for the help :)

Just now got around to DL the pics and most anything under engine just appears to be dirt and some oil misting back by sprocket cover, normal so far. The drops on last 4 pics on cylinder fins might be dirt or oil and if oil you'll have to find out where leaking, valve cover gasket or head gasket oozing.

Those are pretty complicated little motors to those who never work on them, if one has to ask how hard it is to break one open I'd have to say let somebody else do it but not cheap. Looks like you may not be there though.

I see. If it's not urgent, is it still safe to ride around in its current condition?

I'm wondering if it would be worth it to get it fixed up, as I paid a little over $2k for this bike and don't want it to become a massive money pit. I'm also considering selling and upgrading sometime soon - probably to a slightly more appropriate offroad machine :D

Back