• Enter the April CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Turn signal problems ‘82 CB750K

Nhmartin16

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Currently rebuilding a 1982 CB750 I was putting led handlebar lights on. Got the first side on went to try it and the original signal flashed when selected (worked perfectly) then I switched to the new signal and got a steady light. I was confused (not knowing the LEDs didn’t provide enough load to operate the flasher). I went to the flasher relay ( 2 prong type) day an extra wire dangling and my dumb@$& switches it with the Grey wire just to see what would happen. Well, the original turn signal worked as it should for about 2 seconds (because it was selected I’m pretty sure) and then it turned off. Now neither side works. I have them connected to a day running light which works when the switch is in neutral but when selected to either left or right turn signal the respective light turns out. I also noticed the brake light isn’t working but could be a different problem. Relay and all fuses have been replaced. What is going on?!?!

You leave the extra green wire dangling alone, it is a ground (dead short) for 3 prong flashers.

Can't help with the rest as the below likely complicated your circuit and no way to know how you ran that.....

'I have them connected to a day running light which works when the switch is in neutral...'

???????? The OEM system does that, why would you change????

Just a guess but this...

'...when selected to either left or right turn signal the respective light turns out. I also noticed the brake light isn’t working...'

...likely means you have power going backwards somewhere or not well grounded now. Can't say exactly as the direct short you introduced could have melted something at multiple points in 30 feet of wire.

Last edited:
I didn’t change anything about the running lights I just wanted to make sure it was clear that was going on.

You leave the extra green wire dangling alone, it is a ground (dead short) for 3 prong flashers.

Can't help with the rest as the below likely complicated your circuit and no way to know how you ran that.....

'I have them connected to a day running light which works when the switch is in neutral...'

???????? The OEM system does that, why would you change????

Just a guess but this...

'...when selected to either left or right turn signal the respective light turns out. I also noticed the brake light isn’t working...'

...likely means you have power going backwards somewhere or not well grounded now. Can't say exactly as the direct short you introduced could have melted something at multiple points in 30 feet of wire.

I

I'd think about why somebody did that, but you never know..........luck.

Do you still have the OEM main fuse back by the battery? The one that is basically a thin aluminum shim. I typically replace that one with aftermarket as they corrode with no trouble, you don't catch it until it corrodes to dust. I put weatherproof blade type holders there.

Back