• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

'79 LTD Rear Wheel

Bloody Mary

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
At some point after the riding season begins, I will have to replace my rear tire. Will save money and downtime by removing the wheel myself. Bike has the original 4 into 4 exhausts. Looks like left set of pipes will have to come off. If the axle is frozen, might have to remove the right set too for leverage....Geez, I hope not. Any hints or advice before I attempt this project? Pipes look to be as a set.
Appreciate any insight.
Thanks.

I settled on a 130/90. It's been without a rear wheel for a couple weeks as I first ordered a 120/70. That was a little too small, so I returned for a 130/90. Had the tire put on, and went to re-install on the bike. Everything fit together (chain, brakes, spacers, nut, chain adjusters etc.). Before I removed the wheel, I counted threads of the adjusting bolts and they were even on each side. Now that the wheel is on, and I tighten the adjusters to about 1" play on the chain, the right adjusting bolt is almost all the way in to meet the chain adjuster (part #7), while the chain side bolt is about 1/4" farther out. I've looked at this for quite some time, and can't figure out what I am missing, or doing wrong. Wish I could get another set of eyes on this. I'm not stupid.....most of the time.
Appreciate any advice.
Thanks.

That tells you the wheel is wildly crooked in the arm. Don't rely on your eyes there. The arm at the axle slot has marks stamped in the outside face, you line up both adjusters (they are marked too) to the same mark or part of a mark on both sides. Go further and further till chain tight like you want then even up the marks to be the exact same. You can go parts of a mark as well like 1.3 or 2.5, as long as both sides are the same.

You never count threads, use the gauge marks on the sides of the axle slots. If you run out of thread on the adjuster bolts your chain is stretched and need a new one. Bear in mind too that the one inch of play is with weight (rider) on bike, it sinks more to tighten chain up more. At bike on centerstand the chain SHOULD be a little bit too loose. It will tighten a bit when rider sits on bike.

You can get the right side of wheel either an inch too far forward or far back and still get the same amount of chain slack......give it some thought. The chain is on the LEFT side of bike. While you are wildly moving the right side the left is barely moving at all. It's a geometry thing.

Understand. The arm indicators at the axle slot are hidden on both sides by the exhaust, making visual adjustment difficult by that method. Was using the notches on the chain adjusters. Making progress, but still need to tweak the axle alignment. Your advice about the free play with rider is helpful.
Thank you, sir.

Back