• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

79' CB750K Missing 5th gear

Leghorngarage

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Howdy ya'll

I Purchased a 79' CB750K last spring and when I finally got it running n' driving I noticed that there was no fifth gear. Meaning, above 4th, it just didn't go anywhere. Did the research figured it was the shift drum stopper (maybe one of the pins fell out). I opened it up a few days ago and the pins seemed to be intact, although it was tough to see. It still didn't go into 5th. I took the shift stopper out and looked around. Everything seemed in order. None of the shifter assembly parts were bent, the springs seemed to be good and the mechanism seemed to be functioning as it should. I re-seated the pins and slapped it back together. Now it it shifts as it's supposed to. All five gears are there and It's easy to roll through the gears. Heres my question, what the hell happened? I don't understand why, if If I put it back exactly as I found it, it suddenly works...My other question is should those pins be loose-ish? They kind of are. Should I put them back in with a dab of red lock tight to make sure I don't have to go through this again? The frame is hardtailed and the right footpeg makes it impossible to remove the clutch cover when the engine is in the bike. I bought it that way and didn't notice until it was time to get behind the basket.

Thanx for your time!

Pins loose is how they come from the factory, the red loctite will simply chip off and run through your bearings, not a good idea.

I'd be looking at how close the hooks on the shifter rod come to missing pins or not moving enough to rock the drum over the rest of the way. or drag to not move if bike was dropped on that side, you may have knocked it back loose.

The bikes are well known for missing gears in some of them, there is an easy shifter mod that gets rid of all that. Missing a gear is essentially the same as not getting the next one.

Back