• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

What’s this little doohickey?

AcMedic

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi guru’s. Just scored a sweet little 79 750F. Been years since I’ve had a Honda, so I’m really rusty. Ordered a service manual but it won’t be here for a few more days. What’s this little gem leaking a black tar like substance on the battery?

Also, how the heck do I get the little Phillips screw out of the right side bottom of the air box to pull the filter and the box? It seems as the carb(s) are frozen, can’t budge the throttles.

Thanks in advance!!

Edit: well rats! Can’t seem to attach pics from my iPhone. But it’s an electrical component, “U” shaped, right above the battery. Black tarry stuff on the inside, oozed out onto the battery.

Electronic ignition spark units, normal. The early ones melted all the time. The potting compound was too soft, nothing is wrong with it otherwise. The u shape is simply two of them bolted together.

They are normal transistorized ignition, the spark unit simply replaces the points. They are NOT CDI type as some manuals claim. More like the type used on so many cars.

Back