• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

'79 LTD Master

Bloody Mary

CB750 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bike has an aftermarket master cylinder, however, I have the original that needs to be cleaned and rebuilt. Having a problem removing the plastic reservoir. Appears that all the fasteners are removed, but the reservoir is stuck. Perhaps the large O-ring has bonded to the metal body. hesitate prying as I fear breaking it.
Any idea appreciated.

Thanks

The o-ring gets hard and will not flex enough to come out easy. Nothing to do but try to break it.

Get the master piston out first, that will tell the tale. Get it out and refinish (hone) the M/C bore, if you can't pick up all the corrosion on the bottom of bore to clean it up then the casting is junk anyway.

If you chunk the part into solvent the o-ring will get much softer to then come out but the solvent WILL destroy the plastic outer reservoir.

Thank you for the advice. I am able to lift the reservoir enough to spray some silicone inside. Aware of the risks of solvents. Will remove the piston and keep prying gently. Thanks again.

Was able to finally remove the reservoir by hammering wood wedges under the reservoir. The master itself is cruddy. Best way to clean it? Ultrasonic cleaner? Parts washer soak?
Thanks

Back