• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Sanding Aluminum forks

Zero

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I've started sanding my front forks by hand. So far so good, I plan on taking the grits up 320, 600, 900+ as needed. I've seen on Youtube people finish with a polishing wheel on a drill. Has anyone done this and what were the results? Open to suggestions as my forks are badly oxidized.

Thanks

Attachments

• 100_4955.jpg
    100_4955.jpg
    179.1 KB · Views: 1,996
  • 100_4958.jpg
    100_4958.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 141
  • 100_4961.jpg
    100_4961.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 145
I've never had that great of luck polishing with a drill, but probably because my drill doesn't spin fast enough. If you get a fast enough drill it should work. Stabler has some good info on polishing in this thread here: http://www.cb750.com/threads/7-My-Amen-Savior-CB750

If you take the forks off the bike and use a buffing wheel those forks wouldn't take too long to polish up. If you wet sand up to 1,000 or even 1,500 grit, the polishing will go even quicker. Good luck and keep the pictures coming.

I just use a drill. And a angle grinder.
My post from January 11th on http://www.barndrunk.com shows my results. Or my build thread here on cb750.com "Amen Savior".
But as Travis stated - you do need a drill that is fast. If you've allready got one, then your golden.

thanks for your link, the parts you polished look great. I have a good fast drill and even angle grinder. Just never bought the bits and brass wheels etc for them. I'm quite new to this work, but am motivated to learn. My bike looks great from a distance, but up close you see the age. I'll bookmark your page and go out and buy those types of bits & wheels.

^ haha.. maybe for you!!! :) I don't really enjoy it. But I know what you mean... Once you polish one part, you keep going and before you know it everything that can be polished has been polished.

Back