• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

MC bore size question.

Ajsharp991

CB750 Member
Reaction score
1980 750K.
While I wait for my plug wires, i am getting into my front end braking. I have already painted and rebuilt my caliper. Has anyone tried a 1/2"/12.7mm bore size on their bike? I know stock is 14mm. I also know a smaller bore will allow more lever travel and cause a softer feel on braking, but I would appreciate some input from some one who has done it before so I can learn a little. Is 1/2" too small, or will I hardly notice a difference? Reason I'm asking Is because I have a setup already and would like to use that. Thanks!

Damn, oh well. I figured someone had maybe tried it already. Plan on using stainless line. I hear that helps stiffen up the lever slightly. Will post updates after I install then.

People generally go up in ID instead of down, the reason is the bigger ones are for dual discs and people tend to confuse them. A smaller ID master is generally one off a smaller lighter bike with smaller disc. 9/16" is the standard single disc one and 5/8" for double discs.

Late on the update, but I've been riding it the last couple months and the ss line with 1/2 inch bore is a little soft. Could have more braking power. Also is a single disc so I cant expect too much. Plan on doing a front end conversion in the near future so I'm not going to spend the money on a bigger master.

It's soft because you do not have the required ramp up of pressure because the ID is too small. Why you go bigger, same amount of hand movement then gets you more braking.

If you add a second disc you will see what I mean. It will get even worse.

Back