• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

1972 OHC750

Billsboat

CB750 Member
Reaction score
Hi all, from dfw texas. I recently obtained a 1972 Rickman metiees, with an ohc750. What a pretty bike! I’m the second owner. The first owner was a Honda mechanic and an instructor for some motorcycle school. Apparently, this bike was his pride and joy! Unfortunately, he passed some years ago and the bike sat in the garage for the last 5-7 years. Anyway, after changing the oil, putting some fogging oil in the pistons, new battery, etc it started right up. It sounds great! Hears the problem, it won’t shift into gear.

Hears a little about me. I’m mechanically inclined, I’ve restored a number of old cars. I’m running out of room in my garage, maybe that’s why I got the bike. Lol. This however is my first bike to restore.

Thanks for any guidance- input!

Rock the bike a little back and forth while trying to put it in gear. Other then that you need to describe your problem a little bit better.

Thanks for responding, dirtdigger! The problem with being new to anything is, you don’t know what you don’t know.

I’ll do my best to explain...

So, while running and clutch hande engaged, I try to put the bike in gear. As soon as I try putting the foot pedal in to first, or second, it starts to grind. The clutch lever defiantly has tension, and I have in fact put a bit more tension on the clutch cable using the tension screw at the break lever.

Plz lmk what more information maybe helpful. Thanks!

You are able to start the bike in neutral, but aren’t able to shift into gear, correct? If all this is correct, go here~>

With the engine powered off, roll it out into the street. Shift it into 1st gear; rock back and forth to be sure it is in gear. Turn your key to the start position; press your start button and hold on it WILL move as the starter spins; once the bike starts continue riding. You will be able to shift once the clutch plates break free.

Rock the bike not running to get it into low gear and then keep stroking the kickstarter with clutch lever pulled in, eventually the plates will break free of the sticking, it even works on like Barnett discs which stick like glued.

Thank you all! So yes, it will start in natural. Also , when not running it will go into first and second....maybe third, forth, etc too???

Right now it is sitting on a small motorcycle trailer. It easier to work on sitting higher up.

So, as soon as I get the front master cylinder rebuilt I’ll take it off the trailer and try rocking, and starting it in gear.

I’ll report back once I give the above a try.

Back