• Enter the March CB750 Supply gift certificate giveaway! It's easy... Click here, post something, and you're entered into the drawing!

Rear Brake Light will not work

gdickins1225

CB750 Member
Reaction score
I have a 77 CB750F. With the std 1157 bulb the brake light will not come on. I bought a new LED bulb thinking the bulb was burned out. The LED brake light will come on but very dim. I figure I have a bad wire (resistance) or brake switch. I have 12 volts at the bulb on both terminals.Anyone have any ideas on fixing the problem. The LED is not as bright.

Last edited:
You will always get 12 volts at the end of high resistance as long as you check it with no power flowing. You must check for the resistance itself to find where it is at.

Look close at the 1157 LED bulb light output, some are configured to put all the light out straight backwards, they are VERY directional oriented bulbs and the angle of light is very narrow, meaning if you are a car directly beside the taillight, you see virtually no light at all even though directly behind the bike you will get a whopping amount of light. VERY dangerous condition that can have a car change lanes right into you because he 'never saw you'. On my CB550 I added two bulbs to taillight assembly, one in each side to make up for that, the other LEDs saved enough power to let the system be able to carry the added load.

Back